ipBS

Use your imagination

Monday, March 27, 2006

Add Digg counts to your RSS feed and blog posts using FeedFlare

I recently completed my first FeedFlare unit which will add your digg counts as links on your RSS feeds and blog posts. I am hosting this service and am opening it up to the general public as well. I am allowing 1000 hits or requests per host name and after that number is exceeded for an individual host the links will start forwarding to an ad page. If your host passes the 1000 hits mark you have the option of subscribing to the service which will remove the ad page. I am doing this ad page/subscription model so that my server does not get overloaded and to help pay the hosting bills should I start getting a large number of requests.

You can start using the service now if you have a FeedBurner account. Just login to FeedBurner and add a custom FeedFlare unit pointing to http://flarexml.referpals.com/DiggCountFlare.xml.

For more information see the FeedFlare documentation on the FeedBurner site and also see the page I created for the service. Please post any issues or questions to the comments of this post or e-mail them to feedflare[at]referpals[dot]com.

[Update 9/10/2006] I now have a dynamic flare for showing Netscape votes and comments as well. Get the details on this one here http://ipbs.blogspot.com/2006/09/new-netscape-flare-shows-vote-and.html

5 Comments:

  • At 7:49 AM, Blogger Eric Lunt said…

    Sweet! Please let us know how this turns out for you!

    Eric Lunt
    CTO, FeedBurner

     
  • At 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for the FeedFlare objects, and the kind words on the mix.

     
  • At 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm not able to get your FeedFlare to work on my feedburner feed at http://feeds.feedburner.com/JasonPowell-ChurchItAndOtherMusings

    I am able to get another Diff Flare to work from http://rossbelmont.com/diggthis.xml but it doesn't show # of Diggs ... which is why I'd rather use yours.

    Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Jason

     
  • At 5:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I ain't no techie... but my colleague found a much easier way of doing this on blogger post itself...

    Just dump the code into your blogger template, below the /div close (so kinda just above the Comments: word)... Works like a charm because it uses Blogger variables for the page name etc so no hacks required... Remember to make sure it's all on 1 line.

    Check out how it works on these two blogs (tried to post the html here, but didn't work... so... visit the blog, view source, search for 'digg' and you'll find the line):

    All Scrubbed Up
    Cowboys & Engines

     
  • At 5:41 AM, Anonymous kuld33p said…

    Thanks for sharing, its truly a gem of a work.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home